Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My One Word: Week Two (and a half)

One word a week is tough! "Grow" was so good that it's been hard to really decide if I wanted to pursue the few other words I've been thinking about. Yet, if I say I'm going to have four to choose from, I'd better follow through.

Week two's word is "intent," which of course tends to make one think of "intentional," and that's okay. But I'm leaning more towards the motivation-end of the connotations. If I can focus more on my motives, then I think that I'll automatically become a little more intentional with my actions and thoughts. I almost chose to pursue the word "think," as in "Think your thoughts," the challenge Mike Æ-craft talked about over a year ago.

"Intent" will cause me to focus on a specific effect of "grow" - my relationship with others. If I can identify my motives, I think I'll be able to approach people more honestly and purposefully. An example would be when dealing with a friend whose salvation I'm not sure of. I can worry and fret over the ill-desired response they may have if my intent lies in trying to "save them," which is impossible, because we can't save anyone; or, if my intent is to talk with them solely as a means for God to use me as a conduit for Him, then I've alleviated all pressure to "perform" in order to get a desired result. I guess, now that I think about it, that in this example, it's somewhat of a trust issue. That's another thing I intend to work on this year.

1 comment:

  1. A word per week is a challenge, but I think this second week is not nearly as bad as you were making it out to be. "Intent" is a fine, decent week-two word. (Love Mike's new last name, too!)

    ReplyDelete