Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Shed to Hold All of My Money...

That's what that itty bitty building behind my house is quickly turning into. Did you know, for example, that 4'x8' Hardie Board (it's a siding with a density comparable to concrete) is $24.87/ sheet? I need 20 of those. I'll do the math for you: $497. And 40 cents. That's just the siding!
Priced through Guy C. Lee Building Supply, my total - excluding the roof, since I still haven't decided if I want metal or shingles - is $1,202. 79. Priced through Lowe's, I'll save about $125, which still puts me at around $1075.
So, what's not included in that price? I'll answer that question, because I know my wife is going to ask it. That doesn't include the door hardware, the door locks, the gable vent, nails, screws, joist hangers, or hurricane clips. That's probably another $300 or so. Luckily, though, my dad has all of that already. Also not included in that price is, as already stated, the roof. The price between shingles and metal is nominal (unbelievable, huh?), which is why the decision is so hard to make. I'm gradually leaning more and more towards metal since we live in a hurricane playground. I've also got to get this thing wired, eventually, but that's not a top priority: get it built, then get it wired.

No comments:

Post a Comment