Sunday, December 14, 2008

Names That Didn't Make the Cut

I don't mind starting a blog. Really, I don't. The writing, the typing, none of that is especially difficult or hard to produce: I simply start typing and edit it later. Kinda like how I wish I could talk, speaking first and editing it if it comes out wrong.
No, what I dislike about the whole "process" of starting something new is the naming of the thing. Think about it: it's the first thing people will see, the first thing they'll form an opinion about, and the last thing they'll remember... unless it's a dumb title. Cliche' or grand, embellished or trite, all that stuff.
So, here's a list of things I tossed out. If you'll remember, I like words. Correction, I adore words. Especially tricks with them. So, on anagram.com (or whatever it's called. I google it every time I want to find it. I should really have it bookmarked), I entered all sorts of stuff trying to find an awesome anagram to be my title. Here's the list... that I threw out:

B and K Small Group = Bog Mallards Punk, Brusk Napalm Gold
*The first one actually fits the whole "I claim to be a duck hunter" theme I've been living.
I Love Kara = Okra Alive, A Live Okra
*Okra is a skinny, spiky vegetable that grows on a skinny, woody stem. Too much like me.
Victor Brandon Shaw = Thin Bravado Crowns, Crowd Both Nirvanas, Vibrant Candor Show,
Vibrant Nacho Sword, Nacho Vibrant Words, Vibrant Shadow Corn, A Vibrant Chord Sown
*These were just bad. Except "Vibrant Nacho Sword." That one is awesome. But not a title.
My Father's Son = A Forest's Hymn, Hefty Ransoms, Ear's Soft Hymn, Hymns of Tears
*These were all really good. Except the last two. Too sensual to be a title. Of my blog.
A Killer Wit = Wet Ilk Lair
*I don't... even know what that is. How'd that even get on my list?

So, anagrams are a wash. I almost named this thing "My Father's Son," but it's too ambiguous. Is it spiritual? Is it reverential? Is it sarcastic? Is my dad going to be mad? Am I reading too much into this? Is it really worth asking so many questions about it? Why am I still asking questions?
There. Welcome to my world. Currently, the title is "Write Now." Lovely little pun. Short and cliche'. I mean sweet. And cliche'. It's also a command to tell me to get off my butt and write something every few days or so. "Write NOW, me! Turn off the PS3, start the 10 minute start-up cycle on the desktop, and go create something worth writing! Or, at the very least, worth reading." Thank you for contributing to my madness.

2 comments:

  1. I actually found myself snickering and enjoying reading this... so good job! :^) - Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Hymn of Tears" -- I can't believe you passed up that gem.

    ReplyDelete