Friday, December 19, 2008

Timing

"It'll all happen in God's time."

That's the saying we've all heard time and time again, and when it spontaneously barged into my mind today, I was forced to ask: What time isn't God's? Didn't He invent it, for crying out loud?! Which led me to my next question: If it's all God's timing, then why do we fail to recognize it as such? Why are we allowed to feel that we have some sort of control over when something will happen?
I'm not talking about the little things. I'm not talking about when dinner will be ready, or when the next episode of Mythbusters will be on. I'm talking about the biggies, like having kids, buying a house, or getting the perfect job after "investing" years of time and (our parents') money on school. The whole idea of our own timing being off has astounded me today, and my thoughts keep going back to it.
I guess this is coming about because I have a considerable lack of patience when it comes to getting the things I want, feel I deserve, or even feel I need. "God, I thought we talked about this! Remember, back in high school, I'd stay up late at night, drafting blueprints and floor plans for that big house I always knew I'd have by now? Or, remember the way I planned to be a radiologist, and how afterwards You, in your infinite grace, finally openned my eyes to the fact that I was meant to do something different? Why, again, can't I make the radiologist's salary doing what You've led me to do? What happened to the 30-acre estate next to the lake, with the dog in the yard, wearing a rambunctuos kid around its neck like an awkward collar while another looked on, shouting, 'I'm gonna tell Mom!'"

Then God looks down, smiles, and whomps me upside my inpatient head: "Hey, dummy! Look around you! You have an awesome life that you never planned, you just had to sit back and let it happen!"

Total Job moment.

"Hey, I'm not done!" God keeps going. "I'm going to continue to bless you whenever I feel like it, and, no, there's nothing you can do about it! Know why? 'Cause I'm God, that's why! And some of those blessings won't look like blessings at all, because I'm not done with them when you first see them. I don't have to tell you why, or show you how it'll work out in the end, because I'm God! That whole 'time' thing was my idea, and I'll use it however I danged well please! And, furthermore, when I'm done blessing you, I'm going to bring you home to be with me. And further still, I'm going to give you - give you - all those things you thought you wanted right stinkin' now, and you're going to realize that you never really wanted them in the first place! Then, I'll look down, smile, and whomp you upside your grateful head! I'd ask if that's ok with you, but I don't have to: I'm God."

So, in short, I've been thoroughly whomped. And God still knows best. And I'll eventually learn that lesson well enough that I'll stop repeating this process of "lament, learn, forget." I just hope I learn it before God looks down, smiles, and says...

"Time's up."

2 comments:

  1. When God talks to you, He has a Southern accent and says "danged." That's weird. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe when God talks to you, He has the same accent, and you just aren't listening. :p

    ReplyDelete